Friday, February 27, 2009

The beginning of a new (happy/miserable) life...?

Today was somewhat more eventful than usual, I suppose. I went to look for housing with another freshman from my class. I realised most of the students are looking for housing within the area, which I also realised is a really shitty idea. The real estate agents that the school appointed us with is complete phail. We went to look at a few apartments, they were all extremely old, moldy, dark, and overall, like a haunted house. I was very disturbed. After looking at a bunch of houses in the area, and coming the the conclusion that for some odd reason, a fashion design school is located within a freaking ghetto area of a big somewhat fashionable city, I decided to move on to the next neighbourhood around. After eating a simple, yet enjoyable lunch of Hong Kong style shrimp dumpling noodles, we continued our search for the perfect flat. "Us" would include, me, the other student, her father, and my mum. The result, was also disappointing. The only difference with these houses, is that they were larger in terms of space, but nonetheless disturbingly unhygienic and old. 

The first few apartment flats were old in appearance, and just by looking from the outside of the apartment gates, one can assume that the interior would not be very impressive. As expected, they were not. For most of these flats, we had to climb old flights of stone stairs as there were no elevators. Yes, that's how old it is. It's those houses that were made before 1990's. Making my way in (very very reluctantly), a sudden stench plowed up my nose. Hmm, that might not be the correct word, but I'm eavesdropping on a Chinese conversation right now, so my train of thought is not completely clear at the moment, pardon my foolishness, fellow non-existent readers. Anyways, I didn't even dear take pictures, since it was horrifying to the extent that I don't want to even remember. 

There were no sources of light from any visible windows. The furniture were all wooden and already starting to rot/decay from moisture from the weather. The walls were covered in pipe leakage stains, and were a sickly shade of yellow from ceiling to floor. The toilet... was clogged. Mattresses had damned piss stains on them, and to top it all off, there were even springs jutting out from the sad excuse of a bed. Yes, it was this sad, and it wasn't even the worse house I've seen so far.

After about six or seven more houses that had this unseemingly morbid interior design, I was about to give up and just live on the streets. I honestly feel that sleeping on the streets or sewers are cleaner in comparison. 

We met with another real estate agent from a more well known company, and he brought us to two houses. The first one was in a red brick building, looked pretty decent from the outside, as it wasn't so old. After walking in to the apartment, a really strong stench of KFC grease was apparent throughout the WHOLE house, for some weird and unknown reason. Added with the heater and stuffiness, it was so overbearing that I felt like vomiting. There were tacky wooden furnishings everywhere, and apparently, they were "imported" from all the way from America. She spent thousands of dollars remodeling, but made the house look extremely tacky and unpleasant. Wow. Sad. 

So, I was already half dead by the time we made it to the second house. When we opened the door I was actually surprised. IT WAS CLEAN! OH LORD ALMIGHTY IT WAS CLEAN! Not only that, the interior overall was actually quite cute. I really like one room and I claimed it immediately. It was small, but just the way I like it. It had a connecting balcony that I feel like I can live in. In fact, I think I'll live on the balcony, hahahaha. I will take pictures of that when I move in tomorrow.

After moving in tomorrow, I'l go to IKEA and Carrefour for some shopping. Anyways, the girl I met is quite nice, her name is Jane, and she's about a year older than me, although she looks much more mature than that, haha. She'll be my flatmate. Also a freshman. I also met another girl from my class today, so I guess in total I only know 2 people in my class out of 27. Everyone looks so much older than me! But I think it's just because most of the girls dress up that way. I don't know why. I hope they don't end up to be those snobby, spoilt rich kids who think they're better than everyone else. D; Although, it'd be quite funny to see how to treat each other when all of them have the same mindset. Haha. Well, I think it'd be nice to make friends with everyone, since I'll have to see their face everyday for at least two more years.

I don't feel attached to any people anymore though. Don't know.

Will update on anything interesting. Have to go buy school supplies on Monday! 

1 comment:

  1. oooh take pictures of your new place~
    those ghetto flats sound horrible ;A;

    shanghai students sound so different from the jr.highschool-looking college students in yantai >v<

    ReplyDelete